Yes you can. There are two reasons customers do this.
First - to scan in existing barcode serial number data,
Second, to look up GoCode asset information on the computer using a handheld or wireless scanner.
1) Scanning existing serial number data into GoCodes
Your GoCodes software works with any USB scanner that is compatible with your computer device. Most people use PC or Apple MAC hardware and simply plug in a USB scanner. When you do this, you can use the scanner to scan serial number barcodes or actually scan your GoCodes QR Code in the browser URL bar to display the asset information. This option is popular with company IT departments where they sometimes need to quickly scan lots of assets to update them or add serial number information.
2) Using a USB scanner to lookup assets on a computer
We normally find the solution works best with our mobile apps as the scanners. What some customers do is dedicate a device like an old iPad or Android tablet or similar as the scanner in a warehouse and then share it with the team for scanning as needed using our app. You can use almost any mobile device for this.
If you do want to use a dedicated scanner, then there are some caveats/considerations to bear in mind. We do have a vendor that can provide a device pre-programmed for GoCodes.
• When you use a USB scanner plugged into a computer (or wireless) it will scan the barcode data into the active window and field on the computer. So we recommend opening the app on the computer, being logged in and positioning the cursor in the search box on the asset view
• When scanned, the 8 character GoCodes ID will appear in the search box and the search will start resulting in the matching asset being shown on the screen. You would then click on it to view/update as needed
• Note the scanned needs to be pre-programmed to remove all but the last 8 characters from the GoCodes barcode and add a carriage return so the search starts automatically.